Mogadisho-(Berberanews)-24 hours after an Islamist militant group stormed a hotel in the Somali capital of Mogadishu, fighting is still going on there.
Al-attack Shabab’s has claimed the lives of at least 12 people, though some local media outlets have speculated that number could be higher.
On Friday night, the attackers set off at least two explosive devices outside the hotel before breaking in.
There are still gunmen holding hostages inside in an unknown number.
Numerous visitors and employees have been saved.
An intelligence officer who only gave his first name as Mohammed earlier told Reuters new agency that “so far we have confirmed 12 people, mostly civilians, died.”
After the initial assault, a website connected to al-Shabab claimed that a group of militants had “forcibly entered” the hotel, which was a well-liked gathering place for federal government workers.
According to Dr. Mohamed Abdirahman Jama, the director of Mogadishu’s primary trauma hospital, the hospital is currently caring for at least 40 victims of both the hotel attack and a separate mortar attack on a different part of the capital.
Family members of those who are still missing or trapped outside the hotel, local journalist Abdalle Mumin told the BBC.